Potato Cake with Poached Egg
If you love a big, hearty breakfast, then this recipe is for you – these delicious potato cakes can be made ahead and finished in the morning when you need a big meal to keep you going.
To take this recipe up a notch, try adding some flaked fish; hot smoked trout fillets work beautifully with this recipe, but you could also experiment with other fish like salmon as well.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 100g watercress, lightly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- 50g watercress
- 4 eggs
- Optional: 150g hot smoked trout fillets, broken into flakes
What to do:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until they are tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash until smooth. Add the chopped watercress, beaten egg and plenty of seasoning. Mix well then leave until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/ 400oF/Gas Mark 6. Divide the mixture into four, and shape each into a neat cake shape. Brush on all sides with the oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 mins or until the cakes are golden brown.
- When ready to serve, bring a frying pan of salted water to the boil. Reduce the heat so the water is just simmering, then crack the four eggs and gently drop them into the water. Cook for 3-4 mins or until the eggs are poached to your liking. Lift them from the water with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Place a potato cake on each plate, and top with watercress, flaked trout and the poached egg. Serve straight away.
Recipe courtesy of Watercress.co.uk