Spice up your daily sandwich with this delicious relish – this spread works perfectly with cold meats and cheese and is a great secret weapon to keep in the fridge to liven up a meal with a little extra flavour.
Makes: 1 jar Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 500g shallots, peeled, leave whole or slice for a finer relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsps caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
What to do
- Place the shallots in a saucepan with the olive oil, cook over a low heat until softened and beginning to caramelised, this will take around 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar, orange juice and zest and the vinegar, continue cooking until the liquid has reduced a little, around 7-10 minutes, allow to cool.
- Spoon into a sterilised jam jar, cover and store in the fridge. Eat within 1 week.
- Serve cold with cheese or cold meats, or warm and serve as a delicious topping for steak or gammon.
Make peeling shallots simpler by pouring boiling water over them in the sink. Leave them to cool for a moment and then cut the end from the bottom – the skins will slip right off.
Recipe courtesy of www.ukshallot.com