Rib of Beef with Caramelised Shallots and Madeira Gravy
A celebratory or festive centrepiece with a boneless rib of beef or sirloin joint served with roasted shallots and sweet Madeira flavoured gravy.
Serve this as an alternative to turkey or as a celebratory meal to welcome in the New Year!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Avg. cooking time for 3lb: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1.3kg-1.8kg/3-4lb lean boneless rib of beef or sirloin joint
- 75g/3oz butter, softened
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 20-25 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 30-60ml/2-4tbsp good, aged, balsamic vinegar
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 300ml/½ pint hot, good beef stock
- 150ml/¼ pint Madeira or Port
For the Cranberry and Parmesan Stuffing:
- 175g/6oz fresh white or wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 45ml/3tbsp dried cranberries or raisins
- 30ml/2tbsp pinenuts
- 75g/3oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 50g/2oz butter, melted
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
20 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 20 minutes
25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Prepare the thyme butter: In a small bowl mix together the butter, thyme leaves and seasoning.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and spread generously with the thyme butter.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any beef juices.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the joint from the tin with the rack, add the shallots to the pan with the balsamic vinegar, and gently shake. Place the joint directly on top of the shallots, and return to the oven.
- When the beef is ready remove the joint from the tin with the vegetables and transfer to a warmed plate, cover and set aside to rest.
- Prepare the gravy; Spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock, Madeira or Port and any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
Cranberry & Parmesan Stuffing
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Line a 450g/1lb loaf tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly spoon the stuffing into the loaf tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then remove the stuffing from tin and slice into portions.
- Serve with the boneless rib of beef.
Serve with roast potatoes, roasted parsnips, broccoli, cranberry and parmesan stuffing and the gravy.
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
To visit Simply Lamb and Beef click here ←
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Could you give up using wet wipes? - May 22, 2019
- A Week of Garden Celebrations at Leeds Castle 24th to 30th June 2019 - May 22, 2019
- Indulgent Escapes - May 22, 2019
- Inspiring expert-led experiences worldwide with ACE Cultural Tours - May 20, 2019
- Discover the world as a solo traveller - May 20, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!