Roasted tomato and cheddar waffles
Topped with fresh tomatoes, avocado and a fried egg, this delicious recipe is perfect for anyone who prefers savoury to sweet for breakfast.
The roasted tomatoes add a richness of flavour, while avocado and egg help make this a balanced and filling meal.
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
For the waffles:
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 450ml semi skimmed milk
- 16-18 mixed Isle of Wight cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
For the topping:
- 150g mixed Isle of Wight cherry tomatoes
- 2 Avocado
- 4 Eggs
- Salt and pepper
- To make the waffle batter, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Whisk together. Crack in the eggs and slowly stir in the milk until a thick batter is formed.
- Leave the batter in the fridge to rest while you roast the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning and place in a preheated oven (200°c) and roast until soft and sticky, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes are cool, stir them through the waffle batter along with the grated cheddar and some seasoning.
- Heat up the waffle iron and spray with a little nonstick oil. Spoon the batter into each waffle section, trying to get one roasted tomato in each ¼.
- Close the lid of the waffle iron and allow to bake for 8-9 minutes.
- While the waffles are baking, chop the rest of the tomatoes and drizzle with a little olive oil and season. Slice the avocado and set aside.
- Heat a small frying pan and crack the eggs in and fry until cooked to your liking.
- Once the waffles are cooked, remove from the iron and place on plates, followed by the fried eggs. Top with the fresh tomatoes and avocado and drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe courtesy of The Tomato Stall
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- What’s the best way to stay fit and active as you age? - September 17, 2019
- Creative writing: stretching your imaginative powers - September 16, 2019
- Fish Tacos with Cherry Salsa - September 13, 2019
- Clever uses for window spray - September 11, 2019
- Keep your blood pressure in check for Know Your Numbers Week - September 11, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!