Raspberry and Passion Fruit Meringue Roulade
Meringue roulades may seem to some people a bit of a challenge to make, but actually they are not quite as tricky as you may think.
If you are entertaining this summer, why not give this a try?
Serves: 8 Prep time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Cooling time: 1-2 hours
For the roulade
- 4 large egg whites
- 250 g (9 oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
for the filling
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd
- 150g (5 oz) raspberries
- 4 passion fruit
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) Swiss roll tin or roasting tin measured across the base with a large rectangle of non-stick baking paper, snipping diagonally into the corners of the paper then pressing into the tin so that the base and sides are lined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiffly peaking and the bowl can be tipped upside down without the egg whites moving in the bowl. Gradually whisk in the sugar a teaspoonful at a time then continue to whisk for a minute or two until thick.
- Spoon the meringue into the paper lined tin, ease gently into an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and just beginning to colour then reduce the heat to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and cook for 5 minutes or until just firm to the touch and beginning to crack.
- Put a teacloth on to the work surface, cover with a sheet of non-stick baking paper and sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Invert the hot meringue on to the paper, remove the tin and leave to cool for 1-2 hours.
- To finish, peel off the lining paper from the meringue. Whip the cream until it forms soft swirls. Carefully fold in the lemon curd and passion fruit, and then spoon over the meringue. Sprinkle with the raspberries. Roll up the meringue, starting with one of the narrowest edges, using the paper and teacloth to help. Carefully transfer to a serving plate and remove paper and teacloth. Serve cut into thick slices with extra raspberries, if liked.
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Is the constant quest for equality eroding the archetypal gender differences? - July 18, 2017
- Fit for the Beach - July 17, 2017
- Heart Valve Disease Treatment: Minimally Invasive Surgery - July 16, 2017
- Is smartphone dependence a problem or just the way of the future? - July 15, 2017
- Win ONE of FIVE pairs of tickets to Chatsworth House and Garden - July 15, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!