Raspberry and Passion Fruit Meringue Roulade
Meringue roulades may seem to some people a bit of a challenge to make, but actually they are not quite as tricky as you may think.
If you are entertaining this summer, why not give this a try?
Serves: 8 Prep time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Cooling time: 1-2 hours
For the roulade
- 4 large egg whites
- 250 g (9 oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
for the filling
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd
- 150g (5 oz) raspberries
- 4 passion fruit
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) Swiss roll tin or roasting tin measured across the base with a large rectangle of non-stick baking paper, snipping diagonally into the corners of the paper then pressing into the tin so that the base and sides are lined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiffly peaking and the bowl can be tipped upside down without the egg whites moving in the bowl. Gradually whisk in the sugar a teaspoonful at a time then continue to whisk for a minute or two until thick.
- Spoon the meringue into the paper lined tin, ease gently into an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and just beginning to colour then reduce the heat to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and cook for 5 minutes or until just firm to the touch and beginning to crack.
- Put a teacloth on to the work surface, cover with a sheet of non-stick baking paper and sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Invert the hot meringue on to the paper, remove the tin and leave to cool for 1-2 hours.
- To finish, peel off the lining paper from the meringue. Whip the cream until it forms soft swirls. Carefully fold in the lemon curd and passion fruit, and then spoon over the meringue. Sprinkle with the raspberries. Roll up the meringue, starting with one of the narrowest edges, using the paper and teacloth to help. Carefully transfer to a serving plate and remove paper and teacloth. Serve cut into thick slices with extra raspberries, if liked.
Recipe by: Berry World
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- What is equity release and could it be right for you? - October 14, 2021
- Do you eat less meat than you used to? - October 11, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 6, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 6, 2021
- Make your LPA online with Co-op Legal Services - October 6, 2021