Asparagus, tuna and bean salad with shallot and caper vinaigrette
This substantial and filling summer dish is a bit like a classic ‘nicoise’ salad, easy, filling and nutritious.
It’s a bean salad with the added flavours of asparagus, tuna and egg to keep you going all afternoon.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1-2 tsp runny honey, to taste
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- a handful of parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 2 eggs
- 250g bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-3 pieces
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 250g pack ready to eat beetroot, drained and diced
- 160g tin of good-quality tuna steak, drained and roughly flaked
- a few olives
What to do
- Make the dressing by adding the oil, vinegar, honey, shallots, capers and parsley to a jam jar and shaking well. Season to taste with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- To cook the eggs, add them to a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring the pan up to a steady simmer and cook for 5 minutes for a set white and almost set yolk. Cook for a minute less for a truly runny yolk, and a minute longer for a harder yolk. Drain and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel, cut in half and set aside.
- While the eggs are cooking, plunge the asparagus into boiling water and cook for about 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain well and tip into a bowl. Add the butterbeans and pour over half the dressing, tossing together to mix.
- Spoon the dressed beans and asparagus between 2 plates or bowls. Scatter over the beetroot, tuna flakes and olives, top with the halves of egg, and season with a little extra salt and pepper. Finally spoon over the rest of the dressing.
- Serve whilst still warm. Or pack into lunchboxes and chill until required.
Recipe courtesy of: www.ukshallot.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Clever uses for fabric conditioner - November 29, 2021
- Get Ready for Stir-up Sunday - November 19, 2021
- Eco friendly gift wrap options - November 15, 2021
- Tips for an eco-friendly Christmas - November 12, 2021
- Find craft inspiration from the best Martha Stewart videos - November 11, 2021