Asparagus, tuna and bean salad with shallot and caper vinaigrette
This substantial and filling summer dish is a bit like a classic ‘nicoise’ salad, easy, filling and nutritious.
It’s a bean salad with the added flavours of asparagus, tuna and egg to keep you going all afternoon.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1-2 tsp runny honey, to taste
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- a handful of parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 2 eggs
- 250g bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-3 pieces
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 250g pack ready to eat beetroot, drained and diced
- 160g tin of good-quality tuna steak, drained and roughly flaked
- a few olives
What to do
- Make the dressing by adding the oil, vinegar, honey, shallots, capers and parsley to a jam jar and shaking well. Season to taste with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- To cook the eggs, add them to a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring the pan up to a steady simmer and cook for 5 minutes for a set white and almost set yolk. Cook for a minute less for a truly runny yolk, and a minute longer for a harder yolk. Drain and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel, cut in half and set aside.
- While the eggs are cooking, plunge the asparagus into boiling water and cook for about 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain well and tip into a bowl. Add the butterbeans and pour over half the dressing, tossing together to mix.
- Spoon the dressed beans and asparagus between 2 plates or bowls. Scatter over the beetroot, tuna flakes and olives, top with the halves of egg, and season with a little extra salt and pepper. Finally spoon over the rest of the dressing.
- Serve whilst still warm. Or pack into lunchboxes and chill until required.
Recipe courtesy of: www.ukshallot.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!