Blueberry Quinoa Salad
This tasty and filling blueberry quinoa salad is ideal for lunchtime.
The sweetness of the blueberries balance perfectly with crunchy pepper, while the quinoa adds a nutty twist and helps keep you feeling full long after lunch is done.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 100g quinoa
- 35g almonds, whole, skin on, roughly
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 150g blueberries
- Bag of ‘superfood’ type salad leaves
- ¼ red onion, finely slices
- ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
For the dressing
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp coriander seed, roughly crushed
- 1tsp pink peppercorns, roughly crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan with double the depth of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Or, if you’re short on time, grab a pouch of ready to eat quinoa.
- While the quinoa is cooking make the dressing. Gently heat the oil in a frying pan with the coriander seed and peppercorns. Warm through until the spices toast and the oil sizzles. Set aside to cool for a few minutes then squeeze in the lemon juice and season.
- In another frying pan cook the almonds and pumpkin seeds until the seeds start to pop and the almonds are toasty.
- When the quinoa is cooked drain any remaining water then pour over the dressing and stir well. Add all the remaining ingredients to the quinoa, season and stir to evenly distribute and coat with the dressing.
If you want to add some extra protein, this also tastes great served this with some cooked chicken.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Seasonal cooking: ingredients for autumn and winter - October 26, 2020
- Autumn Songs Playlist - October 25, 2020
- 7 Clever uses for Vicks VapoRub - October 23, 2020
- The benefits of funeral pre-planning - October 21, 2020
- The next generation of menopause resources has arrived - October 21, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!