Herb salad with cumin roast beetroot, carrot and squash
Spice up your lunch hour – literally – with this delicious herb salad with cumin roast beetroot, carrot and squash.
The roast carrot, beetroot and squash help make this dish moreish and satisfying, perfect when you want to eat healthy but still need a filling meal to get you through the day.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes
- 800g pumpkin or butternut squash
- 4 raw beetroot
- 3 carrots
- 2-3tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 bag herb salad
- 100ml coconut or natural yogurt (low fat if you prefer)
- 1 lime
- Heat the oven to 200C. Peel the pumpkin, beetroot and carrot and chop into bite size chunks. Lay in a single layer in a large baking tray and drizzle with half of the oil. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and chilli and season well with the salt and pepper. Toss the veg well so it’s all coated and roast for 30 minutes until the veg are softened and charred.
- Meanwhile toast the nuts in a dry frying pan then set aside.
- Once the veg are cooked tip the salad bag onto a large serving plate, spoon the roast veg over the top then scatter with hazelnuts. Mix together the yogurt and zest of 1 lime and dollop over the veg then drizzle the whole plate with the remaining oil, the juice of the lime and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Salad Days
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- What name would you choose for Prince Harry and Meghan’s first child? - March 17, 2019
- Stars will be out in force as Red Nose Day returns - March 15, 2019
- Clever home cleaning tricks to make the annual spring clean a breeze - March 15, 2019
- Substituting single-use plastics - March 14, 2019
- Balsamic & rosemary lamb stew served with biscuits - March 13, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!