Super powered salad pick me up
When the decadence and indulgence of the festive period finally calms down, the New Year for many is a time of diet and detox where we swap cakes and cocktails for healthy juices and salads.
This healthy and delicious salad is the perfect light dish when you’re ready to leave behind all that Christmas feasting. Make the most of any lingering leftovers by adding Turkey to your salad to make it even more filling.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
For the salad
- 350g/12oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets, core discarded
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt flakes and coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 120g/41/2oz mixed salad leaves
- 40g/11/2oz rocket leaves
- 250g/9oz cold cooked turkey, torn into shreds
- 100g/4oz blueberries
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh or frozen chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/180oC fan assisted/Gas mark 6. Add the butternut squash to a roasting tin, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and roast for 10 minutes. Turn the squash and add the cauliflower. Srinkle with the paprika, turmeric and oregano and salt and pepper then drizzle with the remaining oil. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Dry fry the seeds for 2-3 minutes in a nonstick frying pan until toasted. Drizzle with the honey, cook 1 minute until the honey is just beginning to caramelise then take the pan off the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the salad leaves, rocket, turkey and blueberries to a large salad bowl and chill in the fridge until the roasted vegetables are cooked.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a screw topped jam jar, add the lid and shake until well mixed. Drizzle over the salad leaves then top with the warm roasted vegetables and serve immediately.
You might like to make up more toasted seeds than you need and keep the extras in a screw topped jar in the fridge for a healthy snack to munch on, to sprinkle over porridge or add to smoothies or juices.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!