Watercress and Brie Salad with Balsamic Shallots
This watercress and brie salad with balsamic shallots vegetarian lunch is quick to throw together and offers a sophisticated spin on the summer salad, perfect for a simple lunch or side.
Hazelnuts add crunch while the smooth and creamy brie makes this dish feel even more decadent and pairs together beautifully with the caramelised shallots.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 4tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp whole, blanched hazelnuts
- 150g brie, sliced
- 85g watercress
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7. Put the shallots in a small roasting tin. In a small bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, thyme leaves, oil and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the shallots, cover with foil, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, basting twice.
- Meanwhile toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until golden all over, roughly chop and set aside.
- Once the shallots are cooked allow to cool for 5 minutes, tip the watercress onto a serving plate and arrange the shallots and brie over the top. Scatter with the hazelnuts and dress with the balsamic juices from the shallot pan.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Vote for the best beach in the UK - July 19, 2018
- Did you put off retirement due to money worries? - July 18, 2018
- Tips for tracing old pensions - July 18, 2018
- Barbecued corn on the cob with shallot herb butter - July 16, 2018
- Clever uses for self-adhesive Command™ hooks - July 13, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!