Watercress and Brie Salad with Balsamic Shallots
This watercress and brie salad with balsamic shallots vegetarian lunch is quick to throw together and offers a sophisticated spin on the summer salad, perfect for a simple lunch or side.
Hazelnuts add crunch while the smooth and creamy brie makes this dish feel even more decadent and pairs together beautifully with the caramelised shallots.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 4tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp whole, blanched hazelnuts
- 150g brie, sliced
- 85g watercress
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7. Put the shallots in a small roasting tin. In a small bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, thyme leaves, oil and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the shallots, cover with foil, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, basting twice.
- Meanwhile toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until golden all over, roughly chop and set aside.
- Once the shallots are cooked allow to cool for 5 minutes, tip the watercress onto a serving plate and arrange the shallots and brie over the top. Scatter with the hazelnuts and dress with the balsamic juices from the shallot pan.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Iced coffee cheesecake - July 23, 2021
- Selling your car online - July 22, 2021
- Common financial scams and how to spot them - July 20, 2021
- Beat the heat without AC: tips to stay comfortable at night - July 19, 2021
- Clever uses for butter - July 10, 2021