Watercress rainbow salad
Quick, delicious and nutritious, this Watercress Rainbow Salad is just what you need to get back on track after a weekend of over indulgence or as a weekday lunch when you’re on the go.
Its list of simple ingredients offer all you need to fuel up; lentils offer protein and fibre, avocado and olive oil offer healthy fats. Parsley has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants, while watercress, carrots and peppers and packed with vitamins and nutrients.
Serves: 4 Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 vacuum packed cooked beetroot
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 tin of green lentils (400g)
- 85g (1 bag) watercress
- 50g feta cheese
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 avocado
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Slice the beetroot and yellow pepper into fine matchsticks and grate the carrot. Drain the tin of lentils and combine with the vegetables in a large salad bowl
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt together in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl of sliced vegetables and lentils and toss so all ingredients are coated in the dressing.
- Gently toss the watercress through the salad.
- Crumble over the feta cheese followed by the parsley.
- Cut the avocado in half, twist and remove the stone. Cut into slices and arrange on top of the salad.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and tap the back with a wooden spoon while holding it over the bowl to release the seeds, sprinkle on top to finish the salad.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Does the Sandwich Generation need more support? - September 22, 2017
- Staying active lowers the risk of cognitive decline - September 21, 2017
- Clever uses for salt - September 20, 2017
- Is “old” an age or an attitude? - September 19, 2017
- Spicy Brazilian Prawns - September 18, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!