This delicious smoked ham and asparagus tart is perfect as a light weekend lunch on St George’s Day.
Serve warm with a fresh green side salad or potato salad for a heartier meal.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes
- 500g shortcrust pastry
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 100g grated parmesan
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 bundles of British asparagus, trimmed
- 150g smoked ham
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc -350ºf, gas mark 6.
- Line a 9″ tart case. Roll out the pastry and put into the tart case. Prick the base of the pastry and chill.
- Remove from the fridge after 30 minutes. Place parchment paper on top of the pastry and add baking beans, then place in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until the pastry starts to crisp up, or according to packet instructions.
- Beat the eggs, cream and parmesan together in a bowl then season with salt and pepper.
- Take the pastry case out of the oven and remove the parchment paper and beans.
- Arrange the asparagus and ham randomly in the pastry case and pour the egg mixture into the case.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes or until set.
Recipe courtesy of www.british-asparagus.co.uk