15-minute Creamy Mushroom Soup
Big in taste but not in effort, this 15-minute mushroom soup flavoured with garlic and fresh parsley is the perfect last-minute meal in the middle of a busy week when you want something delicious but don’t have the energy to cook.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 tsp vegetable stock powder (or 1½ vegetable stock cubes)
- 400g chestnut or closed-cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- Small handful of fresh parsley
- 200g low fat soft cheese
- 4 tbsp milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- Measure 900ml of just-boiled water into a large saucepan. Add the stock powder or stock cubes and stir until dissolved, then add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Add most of the parsley, reserving a few sprigs for garnish – there’s no need to chop it.
- Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and add half the soft cheese. Blend for 15-20 seconds until smooth. Alternatively, use a hand-held stick blender to puree the soup. Reheat the soup for 1-2 minutes.
- Blend the remaining soft cheese with the milk. Season the soup with pepper (it’s unlikely that you’ll need salt), then serve, garnished with swirls of the soft cheese mixture, parsley sprigs and a little extra black pepper.
Buy a bumper pack of mushrooms and make twice the quantity, packing and freezing half the soup to use another day – it will freeze for up to 3 months.
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!