It’s hard to believe this gorgeously creamy pink soup contains no milk or cream, but thanks to the clever use of coconut milk in the soup and homemade cashew cream drizzled on top, it’s a dairy-free delight.
Serves: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes plus 4 hrs soaking Cook time: 45 minutes
For the cumin cashew cream
- 150g raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 80ml coconut milk or water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the coconut beetroot soup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 250g pack of ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot
- 235ml full-fat canned coconut milk
- 705ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Chopped parsley & pumpkin seeds to serve
What to do:
- Place raw cashews in a large bowl and cover them with two inches of water. Allow cashew to soak overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Strain water from the cashews and put them into a small blender or food processor. Add the lime zest, lime juice, coconut milk, sea salt and cumin and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and gently cook the chopped onion, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to brown and smells fragrant (10-12 minutes). Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, and salt. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the sautéed onion/garlic mixture to a blender along with the beetroot, coconut milk, vegetable stock and vinegar. Blend well, until the soup is completely smooth.
- Pour the soup into a large saucepan and heat until it’s just under a boil. Serve soup with a drizzle of Cumin Cashew Cream, raw pumpkin seeds and freshly chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Peep Ho by Barbara Wooldridge - December 10, 2016
- Which is your favourite Frank Sinatra Song? - December 10, 2016
- In the Wild by Karen Stoker - December 9, 2016
- Which is your favourite Christmas Carol? - December 8, 2016
- Sunrise at Avebury stone circle Wiltshire by Paul Giles - December 8, 2016