Beetroot soup with cumin cashew cream
It’s hard to believe this gorgeously creamy pink soup contains no milk or cream, but thanks to the clever use of coconut milk in the soup and homemade cashew cream drizzled on top, it’s a dairy-free delight.
Serves: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes plus 4 hrs soaking Cook time: 45 minutes
For the cumin cashew cream
- 150g raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 80ml coconut milk or water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the coconut beetroot soup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 250g pack of ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot
- 235ml full-fat canned coconut milk
- 705ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Chopped parsley & pumpkin seeds to serve
What to do:
- Place raw cashews in a large bowl and cover them with two inches of water. Allow cashew to soak overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Strain water from the cashews and put them into a small blender or food processor. Add the lime zest, lime juice, coconut milk, sea salt and cumin and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and gently cook the chopped onion, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to brown and smells fragrant (10-12 minutes). Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, and salt. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the sautéed onion/garlic mixture to a blender along with the beetroot, coconut milk, vegetable stock and vinegar. Blend well, until the soup is completely smooth.
- Pour the soup into a large saucepan and heat until it’s just under a boil. Serve soup with a drizzle of Cumin Cashew Cream, raw pumpkin seeds and freshly chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Win 1 of 5 copies of Classic Albums – Pet Sounds DVD featuring The Beach Boys! - January 20, 2017
- Could these be the world’s most comfortable shoes? - January 20, 2017
- Recreational cycling holidays in Tuscany - January 20, 2017
- 5 Ways to Make your Bedroom more Chic - January 20, 2017
- How would you solve the NHS crisis? - January 19, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!