Chilled Lettuce, Avocado & Lemon Soup
This chilled soup is perfect for days when it’s so hot you don’t even want to turn on the cooker. It is also a sure way to get on your way to five a day!
10 mins (prep) | 0 mins (cooking)| 4 – 6 people
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large or 2 small lettuces, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 30g chives or 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- A large handful fresh sorrel and/or basil
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves only
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ veg or chicken stock cube
- 500-750ml cold water
- 1 lemon or lime
- A swirl of crème fraîche, cream, mascarpone or natural yogurt (optional)
Step by step
- Halve your avocados. Scoop out the flesh. Discard the stone. Add to a food processor with the lettuce, chives/spring onions, fresh herbs, pepper and stock cube.
- Start blending. Slowly trickle the water in till the soup is as thick as you like.
- Add a grating of lemon/lime zest. Whip it through. Taste. Adjust flavours, adding more herbs, pepper or a little more stock cube, a little salt and/or a squeeze of lemon or lime, as needed.
- Finish with a swirl of something creamy, if you like. Serve cold.
- If taking to a picnic, chill for a good hour first. Pour into a clean flask, twist the lid on tightly and it’ll be cool when you arrive
Gorgeous with garlic croutons
This recipe is by Abel & Cole. They’ve been delivering veg boxes to happy, healthy people for over 27 years.
It’s easy to eat healthily with a box full of brighter, lighter, fresher fruit & veg each week. Plus, you can add all the extra bits and bobs you need, like milk, bread, meat and much more.
If you sign up for a weekly organic veg box this week you can get 25% off your 1st four seasonal boxes, plus a free veg box cookbook with your 1st delivery. Sound interesting? Go to www.abelandcole.co.uk/SS15 and use the code SS15 at the checkout. And if you’ve got any questions, give Abel & Cole a call, they love a good veg chat.
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!