Chilled Lettuce, Avocado & Lemon Soup
This chilled soup is perfect for days when it’s so hot you don’t even want to turn on the cooker. It is also a sure way to get on your way to five a day!
10 mins (prep) | 0 mins (cooking)| 4 – 6 people
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large or 2 small lettuces, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 30g chives or 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- A large handful fresh sorrel and/or basil
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves only
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ veg or chicken stock cube
- 500-750ml cold water
- 1 lemon or lime
- A swirl of crème fraîche, cream, mascarpone or natural yogurt (optional)
Step by step
- Halve your avocados. Scoop out the flesh. Discard the stone. Add to a food processor with the lettuce, chives/spring onions, fresh herbs, pepper and stock cube.
- Start blending. Slowly trickle the water in till the soup is as thick as you like.
- Add a grating of lemon/lime zest. Whip it through. Taste. Adjust flavours, adding more herbs, pepper or a little more stock cube, a little salt and/or a squeeze of lemon or lime, as needed.
- Finish with a swirl of something creamy, if you like. Serve cold.
- If taking to a picnic, chill for a good hour first. Pour into a clean flask, twist the lid on tightly and it’ll be cool when you arrive
Gorgeous with garlic croutons
This recipe is by Abel & Cole. They’ve been delivering veg boxes to happy, healthy people for over 27 years.
It’s easy to eat healthily with a box full of brighter, lighter, fresher fruit & veg each week. Plus, you can add all the extra bits and bobs you need, like milk, bread, meat and much more.
If you sign up for a weekly organic veg box this week you can get 25% off your 1st four seasonal boxes, plus a free veg box cookbook with your 1st delivery. Sound interesting? Go to www.abelandcole.co.uk/SS15 and use the code SS15 at the checkout. And if you’ve got any questions, give Abel & Cole a call, they love a good veg chat.