Shallot Soup with a Goats Cheese Crouton
This delicious slow-cooked recipe is a spin on the traditional onion soup.
Cooking it low and slow helps bring out the sweet caramel flavour of the shallots. For a heartier dish, top with a goat’s cheese crouton to make it feel more like a full meal.
It’s the perfect warming dish for the cold winter weather.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 500g Shallots
- 30g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2tsp sugar
- 200ml dry British cider
- 1L good quality beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices of sourdough bread, cut in half or to fit in the top of the soup bowls
- 1 log of goats cheese
What to do
- Prepare the shallots, pouring a kettle of boiling water over them leave to soak for 2-3 minutes then drain and run under cold water. They should now be easier to peel. Peel and finely slice ready to cook.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy based saucepan with a lid.
- Tip the shallots, garlic and sugar into the pan. Stir well then put the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the shallots are softened and browned, stir in the cider and the stock, season, add the bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cook, with the lid on, for an hour.
- When ready to serve, heat the grill, toast the bread and slice the cheese into 4. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Put a slice of cheese on each piece of toast and lay one in each bowl. Put the bowls under the hot grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Recipe courtesy of www.ukshallot.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!