Strawberry trifle with a twist!
An original twist to a classic British trifle.
It’s always Pimms 0’clock in the Summer … this is lower in fat than a traditional trifle and is made with Pimm’s soaked strawberries and topped with reduced fat custard and a lighter, reduced fat creamy yogurt layer flecked with citrusy lemon and orange rind. If you have time leave the strawberries and Pimm’s to soak for 30 minutes or more so that the flavours seep into the sponge base before topping with the custard and cream.
Very quick and simple to make; did you know that pansy flowers are edible? See if any of your guests are brave enough to try one!
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 25 minutes | Chilling time: 2 hours
4 trifle sponges, about 100g/4oz in total
350g/12oz strawberries, sliced
4 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp Pimms, undiluted
425g/15oz can reduced fat custard
200ml/7fl oz double cream
150g/5oz low fat natural yogurt
Grated rind half orange
Grated rind half lemon
3 strawberries, halved and a few tiny pansy flowers or lemon and orange rind curls
What To Do:
- Break the trifle sponges into pieces and arrange in a single layer in the base of a 1.2 litre/2 pint glass dish. Arrange the strawberries on top, sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar then spoon over the Pimms.
- Spoon the custard over the top of the fruit and spread the top into an even layer.
- Whip the cream in a bowl until it just forms soft swirls then fold in the yogurt and fruit rinds. Spoon over the custard and chill until required. Decorate with halved strawberries and pansy flowers or lemon and orange rind curls made with a zester just before serving
- Recipe from Seasonalberries.co.uk
Do you have any recipes that are based on a traditional theme, with a twist?
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win a pair of shoes of your choice from Hotter! - March 21, 2019
- Visit hotelexclusives.com and find the perfect holiday or hotel offer - March 19, 2019
- Take the strain away from opening and closing your garage door! - March 19, 2019
- Is a bad deal better than remaining in the European Union? - March 18, 2019
- How a home lift can help you get around your home more easily - March 18, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!