An original twist to a classic British trifle.
It’s always Pimms 0’clock in the Summer … this is lower in fat than a traditional trifle and is made with Pimm’s soaked strawberries and topped with reduced fat custard and a lighter, reduced fat creamy yogurt layer flecked with citrusy lemon and orange rind. If you have time leave the strawberries and Pimm’s to soak for 30 minutes or more so that the flavours seep into the sponge base before topping with the custard and cream.
Very quick and simple to make; did you know that pansy flowers are edible? See if any of your guests are brave enough to try one!
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 25 minutes | Chilling time: 2 hours
4 trifle sponges, about 100g/4oz in total
350g/12oz strawberries, sliced
4 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp Pimms, undiluted
425g/15oz can reduced fat custard
200ml/7fl oz double cream
150g/5oz low fat natural yogurt
Grated rind half orange
Grated rind half lemon
3 strawberries, halved and a few tiny pansy flowers or lemon and orange rind curls
What To Do:
- Break the trifle sponges into pieces and arrange in a single layer in the base of a 1.2 litre/2 pint glass dish. Arrange the strawberries on top, sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar then spoon over the Pimms.
- Spoon the custard over the top of the fruit and spread the top into an even layer.
- Whip the cream in a bowl until it just forms soft swirls then fold in the yogurt and fruit rinds. Spoon over the custard and chill until required. Decorate with halved strawberries and pansy flowers or lemon and orange rind curls made with a zester just before serving
- Recipe from Seasonalberries.co.uk
Do you have any recipes that are based on a traditional theme, with a twist?
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Sunset at Cley windmill by Pauline Goldsworthy - December 7, 2016
- Do you boil your Brussels? - December 6, 2016
- ‘Green Woodpecker’ by Deanna Skelding - December 6, 2016
- Crafting: An Astonishingly Beneficial Hobby! - December 6, 2016
- Why you should choose Dubai as your next holiday - December 6, 2016