Asparagus and smoky beans on toast
Put a spin on the comforting classic, beans on toast, with this delicious asparagus and smoky beans on toast recipe.
It can be made quickly and is perfect as a simple vegan brunch option that’s packed full of flavour.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 echalions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small chunks
- 1 ½tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of water
- 300g British asparagus, chopped into 2-3cm pieces
- 4 slices of sourdough
What to do
- Heat a large, heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and shallots and cook until they have softened, about 4 minutes. Crush the garlic and add to the pan along with the pepper, paprika, thyme and chilli flakes. Allow the heat to release the aromas and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans along with 2 cups of water. Turn up the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes to allow the beans to soften and the liquid to reduce. Once the liquid has reduced, check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Finally, add the chopped asparagus and allow to heat through for 5 minutes until cooked but still tender. While the asparagus is cooking, pop 4 slices of sourdough in the toaster or under the grill.
- To serve divide the toast onto 4 plates and spoon over the beans and asparagus and top with a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe courtesy of www.britishasparagus.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!