Beetroot Dauphinoise Potato
Beetroot Dauphinoise Potato is an absolutely delicious dish served with roast beef or salmon.
You can add about 3 tsp of creamed horseradish if you want (just spread it out between the layers). It’s also good with the addition of flaked smoked mackerel, in which case it makes a good main course for 4.
Serves 6 as a side dish
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1kg potatoes, preferably waxy ones
500g cooked beetroot
425ml double cream
140ml sour cream
85ml full fat milk
salt and pepper
3tsp creamed horseradish (optional)
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC
- Peel the potatoes and slice very finely – a mandoline is the best way to do this. Cut the beetroot into fine slices as well – they don’t have to be as thin. You can cut them with a knife.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the creams and the milk and bring the liquid to just under the boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Season really well and spoon ½ the potatoes into a buttered gratin dish. Put a layer of beetroot on top – seasoning as you go, then top with the rest of the potatoes and their cream. Put in the oven for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are completely tender. You may need to cover the top with foil after 45 minutes to stop the top becoming too dark in colour.
Recipe by: www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- 7 Scottish Gift ideas for Christmas - November 29, 2021
- Silversurfers Book Club Winter 2021 - November 29, 2021
- Don’t miss out on a fantastic Black Friday Weekend Offer at Silversurfers Shop - November 26, 2021
- 5 Festive films for a movie night to remember - November 25, 2021
- What to expect onboard from Emirates - November 25, 2021