Blackberry and Goat’s Cheese Tarts
A special Valentine’s Day meal doesn’t need to mean hours spent prepping in the kitchen.
Free up time to spend with your loved ones with this quick and easy tart that’s straightforward enough even for the amateur chef.
Serves: 2 – 4 Prep time: 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15g (1/2 oz) butter
- 2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) blackberries
- 3 stems fresh thyme, leaves torn from stems, plus a little extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 12oz packet (or 375g) ready rolled chilled puff pastry, or defrosted if frozen
- Beaten egg, for glazing
- 100g (4oz) goat’s cheese, cut into 4 thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan), Gas Mark 6. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, stirring until softened. Add the sugar and fry for 5 minutes, stirring more frequently until lightly browned.
- Mix in the blackberries and thyme then season with salt and pepper.
- Unroll the pastry then cut 4 heart shapes, transfer to a wetted baking sheet and prick the centre of each heart with a fork, leaving a border about 2cm (3/4 inch) all the way round. Create your heart approximately 5×5 inches by cutting into the pastry with a knife, or create a template from baking paper or a piece of card for uniformity.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg then pile the onion and blackberry mix in the centre of each pastry heart. Bake for 10 minutes until the pastry is well risen and lightly browned.
- Top each with a slice of goats cheese, a few extra thyme leaves and some salt and pepper. Bake for 4-5 minutes more until the cheese has just softened and the pastry is cooked.
- Meanwhile, fork the vinegar, oil, sugar and mustard together in a bowl to make a dressing. Add a little salt and pepper then the salad leaves and raspberries and gently toss together.
These tarts are great as a starter or a main course – arrange one heart per starter serving, or use two for a main.
Serve it with a side salad of mixed rocket, spinach and watercress, along with a handful of raspberries for garnish. For dressing simply mix together 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon caster sugar and 1⁄2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
Recipe from Seasonal Berries
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!