This simple, winning time saver is perfect for parties; quick and easy to prepare, these asparagus cigars are as healthy as they are delicious.
Why not try them with your next family dinner? They are great on their own as an appetiser or served alongside roast chicken, lamb or beef.
Cook time: 20 minutes Prep time: 15 minutes Serves: 16 sharing
- 2 bundles of British asparagus
- 4 sheets of ready-made filo pastry
- 50g butter melted
- 2 handfuls of finely grated parmesan
- Black pepper
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°c
- Cook the asparagus in well salted water, cooking it for only 1 – 2 minutes once it has come back to the boil.
- Drain and cool the asparagus in cold water then drain again, making sure it’s thoroughly dry with a tea towel.
- Cut the asparagus 2/3 of the way down, either discarding the lower stem or saving it for a soup, such as pea and asparagus & sorrel.
- Take one sheet of filo pastry and brush it lightly but thoroughly all over with butter. Cut each piece into four. Place each asparagus spear along the bottom of your filo piece and roll snugly but not over tightly.
- Picking it up with your fingers brush the outside with butter again, then scatter the grated parmesan thoroughly over the top of each cigar.
- Lay them down on a tray lined with greaseproof paper with the outside edge of the filo facing down on the paper, this stops them unravelling when they cook.
- Once done grind over with a heavy bombardment of black pepper.
- Place in the oven for 15- 18 minutes until deep golden and crispy.
Recipe courtesy of British Asparagus