British Asparagus Pilaf
The British asparagus season has just begun and it will be in season until mid June, and although it is a lot more expensive than imported asparagus, the flavour makes it worth it!
This is a hearty one pot meal for all the family to enjoy, delicately spiced so as not to mask the flavour of the asparagus. One pot cooking = less washing up, Happy days.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
250g brown basmati rice
1 bundles British asparagus
30g unsalted butter
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon
2 cardamom pods
700ml veg stock
juice 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
Salt and pepper for seasoning
What to do:
- Rinse the rice and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Trim the ends of the asparagus then cut into 3-4 pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large pan then add the onion, garlic, thyme and spices and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and cook for a further minute, then pour the boiling stock into the pan, cover with a piece of tin foil and place on a tight fitting lid. Cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Place the asparagus spears into the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, season with salt and pepper then a squeeze of lemon juice. Sprinkle over the parsley.
Recipe by : British Asparagus
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win £1,000 to spend on an Explore holiday - December 1, 2021
- Win ONE of TEN Copies of The Daughters of War - December 1, 2021
- Win ONE of FIVE copies of the fabulous More Taste & Less Waste Cookbook! - December 1, 2021
- Christmas Decorations Masterclass: Make your own Festive Wreath, Garland and Flower Centrepieces - November 30, 2021
- 7 Scottish Gift ideas for Christmas - November 29, 2021