Cheddar Mushroom and Leek Risotto
Create a spin on the classic North Italian dish. Creamy, filling and satisfying, this delicious Vegetarian risotto is the ultimate evening comfort food.
Mushroom and leek combine beautifully with the creamy rice base, while the melted cheddar oozes flavour. Enjoy alone as a main or as a side with a smaller portion.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 pack baby leeks, or 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g chestnut or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan. Add the rice and cook gently over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time until it looks glossy but not browned.
- Add the leeks, garlic and mushrooms and stir for another minute or two. Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble up, then pour in about half the hot stock. Stir well.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for 20–25 minutes, stirring often and adding the remaining stock a little at a time, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Check that the rice is tender. It should have a nice creamy texture, though the rice should retain a little ‘bite’. If it needs cooking for longer, add some extra stock or hot water.
- Add the peas and most of the cheese, stirring gently to mix them in. Check the seasoning, adding some pepper if needed. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining Cheddar.
Use Arborio or Carnaroli rice for a deliciously creamy risotto. And try using a mixture of mushrooms, such as sliced portobellos, chestnut mushrooms and button mushrooms.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Iced coffee cheesecake - July 23, 2021
- Selling your car online - July 22, 2021
- Common financial scams and how to spot them - July 20, 2021
- Beat the heat without AC: tips to stay comfortable at night - July 19, 2021
- Clever uses for butter - July 10, 2021