Cheddar Mushroom and Leek Risotto
Create a spin on the classic North Italian dish. Creamy, filling and satisfying, this delicious Vegetarian risotto is the ultimate evening comfort food.
Mushroom and leek combine beautifully with the creamy rice base, while the melted cheddar oozes flavour. Enjoy alone as a main or as a side with a smaller portion.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 pack baby leeks, or 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g chestnut or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan. Add the rice and cook gently over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time until it looks glossy but not browned.
- Add the leeks, garlic and mushrooms and stir for another minute or two. Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble up, then pour in about half the hot stock. Stir well.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for 20–25 minutes, stirring often and adding the remaining stock a little at a time, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Check that the rice is tender. It should have a nice creamy texture, though the rice should retain a little ‘bite’. If it needs cooking for longer, add some extra stock or hot water.
- Add the peas and most of the cheese, stirring gently to mix them in. Check the seasoning, adding some pepper if needed. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining Cheddar.
Use Arborio or Carnaroli rice for a deliciously creamy risotto. And try using a mixture of mushrooms, such as sliced portobellos, chestnut mushrooms and button mushrooms.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Crafts with grandchildren: try tie-dye - August 17, 2017
- Cherry and bay pie - August 16, 2017
- Clever uses for cling film - August 15, 2017
- Is it right to share the private tapes of Princess Diana? - August 14, 2017
- The best of Michael Jackson playlist - August 11, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!