Crunchy crumbed mushrooms
Create a standout starter for entertaining or add a bit of crunch to your weekend lunch with this delicious crunchy crumbed mushroom recipe.
It’s quick to prepare and cook, and can even be made-ahead and reheated later – it’s a flavourful, great for vegetarians, and a versatile addition to any meal.
- 100g mayonnaise
- 100g Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 40g plain flour
- 400g medium-sized chestnut mushrooms
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g natural dried breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First of all, make the dip by mixing together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, crushed garlic and parsley. Season with a little black pepper, then set aside.
- Put the flour into a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms briefly with water, then toss them in the flour (the water helps the flour to stick to them).
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with 4 tbsp cold water. Put the breadcrumbs onto a large plate, mixing in the lemon zest. Dip the mushrooms in the beaten egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or wok to a depth of approximately 4cm. When hot, add a few mushrooms and fry until golden brown – about 2-3 minutes – turning occasionally. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Fry the remaining mushrooms in batches until all of them are cooked.
- Serve hot, with the garlic mayo on the side.
Cook’s tip: If you’re making these for a party, prepare the mayo and mushrooms ahead of time. Place the mushrooms on baking sheets and re-heat them for 5-8 minutes at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
The following two tabs change content below.
Hello there! I’m Rachel and I’m the Features Editor for Silversurfers. I work behind the scenes to bring interesting, informative and entertaining subject matter to the Silversurfers community. I hope you enjoy the features we have shared with you. Please feel free to comment below and share your thoughts with us, we love to hear from you!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts);
be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or
contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or
promote sexually explicit material; or
promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or
infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or
be likely to deceive any person; or
be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or
promote any illegal activity; or
be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or
be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or
be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or
give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!