Goat’s Cheese and Roasted Veg Portobello Mushrooms
In honour of National Vegetarian Week, we’re serving up some delicious recipes to help inspire you to go meat free.
This moreish mushroom recipe is just what you need to liven up your weeknight meals – you can serve them alone as a light dinner or as a satisfying side. They’re quick to prepare, easy to cook and most of all delicious.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 400g prepared butternut squash, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 8 large (or 4 very large) Portobello mushrooms
- 2 x 100g packs goat’s cheese, each sliced into 4
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas mark 6.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tin and add the butternut squash, tossing to coat. Roast for 10 minutes, then add the onion, pepper and black onion seeds. Roast for a further 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Arrange the mushrooms, gills facing up, in a roasting tin (you can use the same one – just tip the cooked vegetables into a bowl). Pile the vegetables into the mushrooms and season with black pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the goat’s cheese slices on top of the mushrooms and return to the oven for 3-5 minutes, so that the cheese starts to melt. Serve, sprinkled with extra black pepper and garnished with thyme sprigs.
If the mushroom stalks are quite large, trim them off and add them to the roasting tin with the onion and red pepper. For a spicier flavour, use cumin seeds instead of black onion seeds (if you don’t have either, simply leave them out).
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Does the Sandwich Generation need more support? - September 22, 2017
- Staying active lowers the risk of cognitive decline - September 21, 2017
- Clever uses for salt - September 20, 2017
- Is “old” an age or an attitude? - September 19, 2017
- Spicy Brazilian Prawns - September 18, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!