Goat’s Cheese and Roasted Veg Portobello Mushrooms
In honour of National Vegetarian Week, we’re serving up some delicious recipes to help inspire you to go meat free.
This moreish mushroom recipe is just what you need to liven up your weeknight meals – you can serve them alone as a light dinner or as a satisfying side. They’re quick to prepare, easy to cook and most of all delicious.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 400g prepared butternut squash, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 8 large (or 4 very large) Portobello mushrooms
- 2 x 100g packs goat’s cheese, each sliced into 4
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas mark 6.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tin and add the butternut squash, tossing to coat. Roast for 10 minutes, then add the onion, pepper and black onion seeds. Roast for a further 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Arrange the mushrooms, gills facing up, in a roasting tin (you can use the same one – just tip the cooked vegetables into a bowl). Pile the vegetables into the mushrooms and season with black pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the goat’s cheese slices on top of the mushrooms and return to the oven for 3-5 minutes, so that the cheese starts to melt. Serve, sprinkled with extra black pepper and garnished with thyme sprigs.
If the mushroom stalks are quite large, trim them off and add them to the roasting tin with the onion and red pepper. For a spicier flavour, use cumin seeds instead of black onion seeds (if you don’t have either, simply leave them out).
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Clever uses for fabric conditioner - November 29, 2021
- Get Ready for Stir-up Sunday - November 19, 2021
- Eco friendly gift wrap options - November 15, 2021
- Tips for an eco-friendly Christmas - November 12, 2021
- Find craft inspiration from the best Martha Stewart videos - November 11, 2021