Grilled vegetables with creamy shallot dressing
This delicious and simple grilled vegetables salad is perfect for the change of the seasons – you can take advantage of summer flavours but enjoy a ‘warm’ salad as the temperature starts to drop in autumn.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the dressing
- 60g eschalion shallots, diced
- 125ml olive oil
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp runny honey or maple syrup
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
For the vegetables
- 3 large echalion shallots, sliced down the middle
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into large wedges
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 leeks, cut into 10cm lengths and slice down the middle
- 1 courgette, cut into large, diagonal slices
- Packet of vine tomatoes
- 125g asparagus spears, trimmed
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 190C/180C fan/gas 5.
- First, make the dressing. Place all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and blitz until all the shallots are finely diced and a creamy, pale dressing forms. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Place the shallots and fennel wedges in a roasting tin and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until softened but still holding form.
- In the meantime, warm the barbecue or heat a griddle pan on the hob. Using a pastry brush, brush all the vegetables with a little oil. Place the leeks cut-side down onto the grill followed by the courgette. Cook the vegetables until they have visible griddle lines, are nicely charred and soft all the way through – this may take a couple of turns on the grill.
- When the shallots and fennel are softened, remove from oven and place straight onto the grill. Griddle in the same way as the other vegetables.
- Add the vine tomatoes to the roasting tin and place in oven until all the other vegetables have been griddled – approximately 5 – 10 minutes.
- Finally, griddle the asparagus for just 2 – 3 minutes.
- To serve, neatly pile all the vegetables onto a large platter. Remove the roasted tomatoes from the oven and place on top of the vegetables. Finish with a drizzle of dressing and serve the remaining dressing in a bowl on the side.
Recipe courtesy of UK Shallot
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- What’s the best way to stay fit and active as you age? - September 17, 2019
- Creative writing: stretching your imaginative powers - September 16, 2019
- Fish Tacos with Cherry Salsa - September 13, 2019
- Clever uses for window spray - September 11, 2019
- Keep your blood pressure in check for Know Your Numbers Week - September 11, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!