Miso stir-fried greens with fried egg
“Super-delicious and quick to make, stir-fried greens are a perfect midweek meal when you want to feel like you’ve really done yourself some good,” says chef Tom Kerridge. “There are so many flavours going on here, it’s hard to believe this dish is as healthy as it is.”
3tbsp white miso paste
2tbsp soy sauce
½tsp vegetable oil
½tsp sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, ﬁnely chopped
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, julienned
125g tenderstem broccoli
175g cavolo nero, ribs removed and roughly chopped (100g prepared weight)
100g Chinese leaf cabbage, thickly shredded
100g rainbow chard, roughly chopped into thirds
1-cal sunﬂower oil spray
2 large free-range eggs
1tsp furikake (Japanese seasoning), to ﬁnish
1. In a small bowl, mix the miso paste, soy sauce and mirin with two tablespoons water until smooth.
2. Place a large non-stick wok over a high heat. When it is almost smoking, add the oils, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, until the garlic is golden – don’t let it burn.
3. Add the broccoli and asparagus with one tablespoon water. Stir-fry for one minute, then toss in the mangetout and stir-fry for a further one minute. Add a splash more water if the pan looks like it’s drying out.
4. Add the cavolo nero, cabbage and miso mixture and stir-fry for one to two minutes or until the cabbage is cooked and wilted. Add the chard and cook for another minute, then remove the wok from the heat.
5. Place a medium non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add a few sprays of oil, crack the eggs into the pan and cook for two to three minutes.
6. Divide the greens between warmed plates and top each portion with a fried egg. Sprinkle with furikake to serve.
BONUS: Filled to the brim with vitamins, antioxidants and minerals, greens are particularly rich in nutrients that help reduce muscle aches after exercising.
Lose Weight & Get Fit by Tom Kerridge is published by Bloomsbury Absolute, priced £22. Photography Cristian Barnett. Available now.
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- 10 ways to support an isolated elderly relative - March 31, 2020
- 50 years without The Beatles – the biggest band break-up in history - March 31, 2020
- 15 bizarre things you never knew about cats - March 30, 2020
- Mr Motivator’s 6 steps for staying mentally and physically strong in lockdown - March 30, 2020
- Boris Johnson’s letter to the UK in full - March 29, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!