Portobello Mushroom Bake
October is Mushroom Month, and today we’re back to share a delicious new recipe to help you incorporate more mushrooms into your diet.
This quick and simple portobello mushroom bake makes for a tasty mid-week meal or an impressive side dish at a large family feast. Try it on its own for an easy vegetarian dinner or alongside your favourite grilled meats.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
- 150g easy-cook long grain rice
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion or 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small courgette, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 50g natural Greek yoghurt
- 100g Red Leicester or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice in lightly salted boiling water for 12 minutes, according to pack instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Put the mushrooms, gills facing up, into a roasting tin. Chop the stalks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the red onion or spring onions and courgette for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chopped mushroom stalks and herbs and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the rice thoroughly and stir it into the vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon into the mushrooms.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt and cheese, then spoon it on top of the rice mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
Cook’s tip: Authentic Greek yoghurt works best in this dish, as it’s really thick and creamy.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Roast turkey with celery, walnut & sausage stuffing - December 1, 2020
- 3 Mince Pie Recipes - November 28, 2020
- Clever uses for oats - November 25, 2020
- Tackling cold sores - November 25, 2020
- Toffee Cranberry Pudding - November 24, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!