Puffed Up Mushroom Tarts
Packed with nutrients and naturally low in calories, mushrooms are the perfect ingredient to help kick start a healthier diet in 2016.
This simple and delicious recipe is slightly decadent and sophisticated – it’s perfect for entertaining or a special weeknight dinner at home.
- 500g pack ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30g butter
- 300g button mushrooms, halved
- 300ml tub crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 20cm. Trim all the edges with a sharp knife (this will help give a good rise), then cut into 8 equal rectangles. Place onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- On each square, score a border 1cm from the edge, all the way round, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Brush the surface with beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- When the pastry tarts are cooked, carefully remove the central rectangle from each one (these are the lids). Mix the crème fraiche and chives or parsley into the mushrooms and season to taste. Spoon into the cases and pop the lids on top. Warm through in the oven for a further 4-5 minutes, then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!