Superberry kale and roasted garlic bruschetta
Perfect as a light lunch or casual starter, this healthy and delicious bruschetta recipe incorporates seasonal flavours with a unique twist.
Packed with superfood ingredients, the slight bitterness of the kale mixes beautifully with the earthy flavour of the roasted garlic. Combined with the tart sweetness of the blackberries, crunch of hazlenuts and the rich balsamic flavour, this recipe is both sophisticated and easy enough to enjoy on a weekday.
Serves: 4 Prep: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 large fresh garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 slices sour dough bread, halved
- 75g/3oz shredded kale, rinsed well with cold water, drained
- 100g/4oz blackberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses, optional
- 25g/1oz toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Sea salt flakes and coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Put the whole unpeeled garlic on to a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil then wrap in the foil to enclose completely. Cook on a baking sheet for about 20-25 minutes or until it feels soft when squeezed.
- Unwrap the garlic, separate into cloves then peel away the skins, finely chop the soft creamy garlic flesh to a rough paste or blitz in a food processor. Spoon into a small bowl.
- Preheat a ridged frying pan, brush one side of all the pieces of bread with a little oil then toast in the hot pan, oiled side downwards for 2 minutes or until browned. Brush the tops with a little more oil then turn over and cook the second side. Wrap in a clean teacloth and keep hot.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the rinsed kale to the dry pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to wilt. The water clinging to the kale will be enough to keep it from sticking. Add the blackberries, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate molasses, if using and cook for 1 minute.
- Spread the garlic puree over the griddled bread then top with the kale and blackberry mix and sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts, salt flakes and pepper. Serve immediately.
Double up and cook 2 garlic bulbs then keep the rest in a screw topped jar in the fridge up to 1 week. Delicious added to stir fries, stews or soups.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries
Silversurfers Features Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!