Vegan griddled asparagus and shallots with salsa verde
This delicious and simple side dish is a great way to get more greens on your plate, and is vegan, too!
Serves: 4 + 1 small jar Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- ½ garlic clove
- 2bsp red wine vinegar
- 4 anchovies (in oil not salt)
- 30g flat leaf parsley, just the leaves
- 30g basil, just the leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp capers
- 150ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 echalions
- 500g British asparagus
What to do
- Place the garlic, red wine vinegar, anchovies, parsley, basil, lemon zest, capers and olive oil into a hand-held blender and blitz until combined but still coarse. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Chop the echalions lengthways into four quarters and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place in a smoking hot griddle pan to cook until they are soft and slightly charred but still hold their shape. Set aside.
- Cut the woody ends off the asparagus and lightly oil them, then place in the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes until charred but still tender.
- Arrange the asparagus and echalions on a plate, then spoon over the salsa verde.
Recipe courtesy of www.britishasparagus.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Quiz: Here are four pictures – what country are we in? - October 23, 2019
- Fixed term versus decreasing term life insurance – what’s the difference? - October 22, 2019
- 10 Simple Tips for Boosting Your Mood - October 21, 2019
- 18th October is World Menopause Day - October 15, 2019
- Recipes for chocolate lovers - October 14, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!