Warming root vegetable crumble
This delicious and warming root vegetable crumble is the perfect dish for winter and great for if you’ll be serving any vegetarian guests over the festive period.
The sweet and creamy carrots pair beautifully with the cheesy, savoury crumble.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes
- 300g Chantenay carrots
- 500g peeled and cubed mixed root vegetables
- e.g. parsnips, sweet potato, squash, swede
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 400ml milk
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 50g grated mature cheddar
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Grated nutmeg
What to do
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4-5. Heat a frying pan, add the olive oil and sauté the Chantenay carrots and the mixed root vegetables and onion for 4-5 minutes, season with sea salt, black pepper and some grated nutmeg. Place in an oven proof dish.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and mix together and cook the mixture for 1 minute. Do not brown.
- Remove from the heat, pour in the milk and whisk the mixture until smooth. Place back on the heat and slowly bring to the boil, whisking constantly until just boiling.
- Simmer for 1 minute, remove from the heat, then add the horseradish and crème fraîche, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Pour the sauce over the vegetable mixture.
- Mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the vegetables and sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes so the vegetables are cooked and the topping is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of www.chantenay.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Tomato and avocado salad with a lime & chilli dressing - July 16, 2019
- Clever uses for cotton wool balls - July 15, 2019
- Clever uses for nail varnish remover - July 15, 2019
- Mixed Berry Cheesecake - July 14, 2019
- What’s the best classic frozen treat? - July 12, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!