Watercress and Mushroom Sliders
Plan a meat-free barbecue this summer with this delicious recipe for watercress and mushroom sliders.
Sliders take the traditional hamburger and give them a sophisticated update; the mushroom is flavourful while the creamy blue cheese adds some melted goodness to the equation.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 5 minutes + marinating Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 Portabello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 85g watercress
- 100g creamy blue cheese such as Gorgonzola
- 6 small rolls, sliced horizontally
- Your choice of lettuce, tomatoes, onion etc to serve
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic together with salt and pepper. Pour half into a dish that will hold all of the mushrooms. Put the mushrooms in and drizzle over the remaining dressing. Cover and leave to marinate for an hour, moving them around once or twice to make sure they’re coated.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill and put the mushrooms on a shallow baking tray gill side down. Grill for 5 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- While they are cooking, put the watercress into a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 1 minute until wilted, then drain on some kitchen roll.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, fill each one with watercress and top with the cheese. Return to the grill along with the rolls, cut side up.
- When the rolls are toasted and the cheese is bubbling, place a mushroom inside each roll to make the burgers and serve immediately with your choice of fillings.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk