Watercress and Mushroom Sliders
Plan a meat-free barbecue this summer with this delicious recipe for watercress and mushroom sliders.
Sliders take the traditional hamburger and give them a sophisticated update; the mushroom is flavourful while the creamy blue cheese adds some melted goodness to the equation.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 5 minutes + marinating Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 Portabello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 85g watercress
- 100g creamy blue cheese such as Gorgonzola
- 6 small rolls, sliced horizontally
- Your choice of lettuce, tomatoes, onion etc to serve
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic together with salt and pepper. Pour half into a dish that will hold all of the mushrooms. Put the mushrooms in and drizzle over the remaining dressing. Cover and leave to marinate for an hour, moving them around once or twice to make sure they’re coated.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill and put the mushrooms on a shallow baking tray gill side down. Grill for 5 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- While they are cooking, put the watercress into a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 1 minute until wilted, then drain on some kitchen roll.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, fill each one with watercress and top with the cheese. Return to the grill along with the rolls, cut side up.
- When the rolls are toasted and the cheese is bubbling, place a mushroom inside each roll to make the burgers and serve immediately with your choice of fillings.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Silversurfers Book Club Winter 2018 - January 19, 2018
- Clever uses for tea bags - January 18, 2018
- Malaysian Spiced Sea bass with Brown Rice - January 17, 2018
- Simple steps to increase your feeling of wellbeing - January 16, 2018
- Do you believe in Blue Monday? - January 15, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!