Watercress Falafel in Pitta Pockets
Delicious and easy to make ahead in batches, this Falafel recipe is perfect for a quick weekend lunch or a light midweek dinner.
The fragrant cayenne pepper, cumin and clove add wonderful flavour to this healthy vegetarian dish. You can eat it cold for a lunch on the move or hot for a delicious warming meal.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 22 minutes
For the Falafels
- 225g/8oz dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g bag watercress, roughly chopped
- juice half a lemon
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 100g bag watercress
- 150g Greek style yogurt
- 4 wholemeal pitta bread
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a food processor with the tahini, salt, baking powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garlic, watercress and lemon juice. Whizz until very finely chopped but not puréed. (If you have time, set the mixture aside for a couple of hours, so the flavours can mingle, but it’s not imperative).
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Fan 200C/Gas Mark 6. Place a large roasting tin in the oven to heat up. Using a wet hand shape the mixture into 16 balls, then flatten slightly into patties.
- Add the oil to the roasting tin, return to the oven for 2 minutes, then carefully add the falafel, tossing to coat in hot oil. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once until crisp and golden.
- Whilst they cook, roughly chop half the remaining watercress and stir it into the yogurt with the garlic and seasoning to taste. Lightly toast the pittas on each side, cut each in half and open up each half to make a pocket. Fill the pitta pockets with falafel, remaining watercress and the yogurt sauce. Serve whilst warm.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Take the Silversurfers grammar quiz – round 2! - February 17, 2019
- The best of Elvis Costello & The Attractions playlist - February 15, 2019
- Raspberry and apple turnovers - February 14, 2019
- Epic Love Songs Playlist - February 14, 2019
- 5 romantic films to revisit this Valentine’s Day - February 13, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!