Winter Pot Roast
This is a delicious easy pot roast meal, full of warmth and goodness, great served on a cold winters day. Perfect served with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable to complete your meal.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- 2.5ml/½tsp cayenne pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz streaky bacon, cut into cubes (or pancetta cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed or 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface taking care not to cut the butche’s string. Season with salt and dust with the cayenne pepper on both sides.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown all over with the bacon or pancetta. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
In the same frying pan add the garlic, onion, carrot and celeriac or celery. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3hours.
Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Is it time for Trump to go? - August 19, 2017
- Iconic Trips for your Bucket List - August 17, 2017
- The “Oops” and Downs at Ideal World TV Shopping - August 17, 2017
- Would you choose a Walnut Whip without the nut? - August 16, 2017
- From Student to Surgeon: training to become a cardiothoracic surgeon - August 15, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!