Winter Pot Roast
This is a delicious easy pot roast meal, full of warmth and goodness, great served on a cold winters day. Perfect served with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable to complete your meal.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- 2.5ml/½tsp cayenne pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz streaky bacon, cut into cubes (or pancetta cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed or 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface taking care not to cut the butche’s string. Season with salt and dust with the cayenne pepper on both sides.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown all over with the bacon or pancetta. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
In the same frying pan add the garlic, onion, carrot and celeriac or celery. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3hours.
Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
To visit Simply Lamb and Beef click here ←
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Have you been able to book your Covid Booster yet? - October 21, 2021
- Trip ideas for 2022: travel specialists share their insider knowledge - October 21, 2021
- Welcome to park home living - October 19, 2021
- What is equity release and could it be right for you? - October 14, 2021
- Do you eat less meat than you used to? - October 11, 2021