10 tips on how to keep in top condition during the winter months
The colder months are fast approaching
Bad weather, dark mornings, sniffles, sneezes and that duvet day feeling – winter must be on its way. But it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom; winter can be a great season to get to grips with our immune system, toughen our resilience and give a boost to our general wellbeing.
So how do we go about making ourselves feel the best we can during the winter months?
Here are 10 practical tips we can follow to aid our resistance to those winter viruses along with helping to battle those winter blues:
- Eating lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and wholegrains will support our immunity and encourage good digestion
- We should reduce our intake of salt, sugar and fat and try to avoid processed foods as they are generally high in all three
- Endeavour to eat as much fresh food wherever possible as foods full of preservatives and so called ‘junk’ food will deplete the body’s natural protection system
- Skin and hair should not be neglected during the colder months so both men and women should include quality conditioners and creams in their washing regime
- Keeping to a regular routine will make us feel better in so many ways as continued late nights and long work hours can have detrimental effects on our general health
- Including some form of exercise into our daily lives will give our immune systems a boost and produce those ‘feel good’ endorphins
- Stay hydrated will plenty of fresh water and avoid consuming too much alcohol or caffeine as they have a detrimental effect on our body’s ability to absorb minerals and vitamins
- A multi vitamin tablet may aid those who suffer from minor infections or it may help to investigate homeopathic or alternative remedies
- Yoga, swimming, massage, walking in daylight hours or practicing mindfulness are just some forms of healthy relaxation which may help us to feel good about ourselves during those long winter days
It has been said that winter sunshine can improve our general health and help to lift those winter blues so getting outside as much as we can or even taking a holiday abroad may be the ultimate way to survive the winter months!
All content on Silversurfers.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated at all as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. Silversurfers will not be responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content on www.silversurfers.com and we are also not liable for the content of any external websites or links from or to Silversurfers to any other websites. Please always consult your own doctor if you’re in any way concerned about any aspect of your health
Have you got a health question?
We've teamed up with AXA PPP healthcare to bring you articles, information and tips from their clinical teams on a wide range of health topics. And if you have a health related question of your own - about your or your family's health, medication or upcoming procedures, for example - you can also access their, "Ask the Expert" service. Available around the clock, 365 days a year this free resource allows you to ask the team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives and pharmacists about any health concerns you may have - whenever you need them, 24 hours a day, every day. Please get in touch now.
Click below to submit your question online.
AXA PPP healthcare
Latest posts by AXA PPP healthcare (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!