This article focuses on Joanie Scott’s (52) experiences of having a stroke, how it was treated, and how she dealt with it afterwards.
“Joanie isn’t your typical stroke survivor,” explains Doireann Maddock, Senior Cardiac Nurse at the British Heart Foundation.
She now looks to follow a healthy lifestyle, with an improved diet and more exercise. “After a stroke, patients with those risk factors are advised to change their lifestyles. They may also be prescribed anticoagulant drugs, blood pressure tablets, medication for diabetes and the cholesterol-lowering drug statin. The combination of lifestyle changes and drug treatments can greatly reduce the chance of another stroke.”
According to the Stroke Association around 150,000 people in the UK suffer a stroke every year.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016
- Sunset in Abbotsbury, Dorset by Patty Ball - October 20, 2016
- How to Make a Scrapbook with a CEWE PHOTOBOOK - October 20, 2016