Baby Shower Theme Ideas
If you’re arranging a baby shower for a family member, we have some tips to help you plan.
Take a look at our ideas for baby shower themes, tips on decoration and gifts, and games you can play.
Storybook Baby Shower
Why not take inspiration from a well-loved children’s book for the baby shower? What about:
- – Winnie the Pooh
- – The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- – Beatrix Potter
- – Alice in Wonderland
- – Classic Fairy Tales
- – Nursery Rhymes
Make the decorations themed for the book you choose. Print out pictures of the characters and use them on banners and as place settings, send invitations on the theme, and decorate the cake with a character from the book.
Tie in the colours of any decorations and napkins with the theme too – like pastel colours for Beatrix Potter, bright colours for The Very Hungry Caterpillar. See if you can tie the food in to the books as well – fruit salads for the Caterpillar, carrot and veg stick for Peter Rabbit, honey (hunny!) cake for Winnie the Pooh, scones and cucumber sandwiches in a Mad Hatter’s afternoon tea Party for Alice in Wonderland.
Ask guests to bring one of their favourite children’s books as a present for the newborn to tie in with the book theme.
Pampering Baby Shower
Why not use the shower as an opportunity to give the mum-to-be a few treats or much needed items? You could throw a:
- Relaxing Beauty Shower – take the expectant mother and a few close friends to a spa for a day, and indulge her with a pregnancy friendly massage, manicure, pedicure and a facial
- Diaper Party – ask guests to bring vital supplies like nappies that will last the new parents through the first six months. Fold napkins into little diaper shapes, keep the decorations white and simple, and serve white-frosted vanilla cake to guests
Other Baby Shower Themes
There are lots more themes out there for baby showers. What about a:
- Personal Party – gather together photos of the expectant mother when she was a baby and child and use these to decorate the room – in banners, cake toppers and posters. Ask guests to bring either a homemade present – like a baby blanket, hat or booties – or something they loved when they were a child.
- Family Party Baby Shower – throw a party for both the mother and father-to-be, as well as any children they already have. It might be the last big party they get to attend for the next few months!
Baby Shower Games
Once you have the theme sorted, you should pick a few activities to keep guests entertained. Try:
- Guess the guest from the baby photo – ask everyone to send you a picture of themselves in advance, pin them to a wall with a number beside each one, and get people to guess who the babies are!
- Baby themed charades – enjoy a few rounds of charades with a difference – the films, songs and books all need to be baby, mummy or daddy themed
- Guestbook – buy a nice guestbook that fits in with your theme or decorations, and have guests write personal messages to the mum-to-be and baby
- Time Capsule – get a decorative box and ask each guest to bring one item to put in it, like a newspaper, birthday card, photograph or story, with a note about who they are and how they know the mum. The box could be opened when the child reaches a certain age.
- Guess the date – have guests write the date they think the baby will be born on down on a slip of paper, and seal it in a jar. You could also do this with the gender if it’s unknown, the potential baby names, birth weight, or anything else you think would be fun for the mum.
What other baby shower themes could people try?
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!