52 is the age of contentment
New research out today can reveal that 52 is the age of contentment
In a survey for Silversurfers of over one thousand people aged over 50, more than half (58%) said that they are more experienced and can deal with many more situations, over a third said they prize their spouse above all else and a quarter feel up to 14 years younger. In fact 45% said they feel more youthful than their parents did at the same age!
There were a lot of other interesting views from Silversurfers.
19% of the over 50s say they haven’t saved enough money for retirement and 18% said they married the wrong person.
• Nearly one fifth of over 50s in retirement could be in a dilemma after failing to save any form of next egg
• 18% said they married the wrong person
• 12% of over 50s save £3,600 per year more than in their 40’s
• A quarter of over 50s feel most content at 52
The top ten regrets of the over 50s were identified in research undertaken by Silversurfers.com
Top Ten Regrets of the Over 50s
1) Nearly a quarter (23%) said they hadn’t seen enough of the world
2) 19% said they didn’t save enough money for retirement (£2.4m)
3) Almost the same amount (18%) said they married the wrong person
4) 17% said they never told their parents how much they meant to them
5) 16% chose the wrong career,
6) 16% said working long hours/spent too much time at work
7) 15% said they didn’t spend enough time with their children
8) 15% claimed they worried too much about what other people thought
9) 15% wished they had learned to play a musical instrument
10) 15% regretted not asking their Grandparents more about their life before they died
But despite these worrying regrets, the over 50s are feeling quite sprightly with a third saying that happiness is more important than money and a quarter revealing they feel most content at the age of 52.
However financially they are not in such good shape.
Nest eggs are getting smaller
Half of the over 50s polled said that financial security is their most important personal goal but only 12% had saved more in their 40s (£3,600). Perhaps surprisingly this age group seems financially unprepared with 28% of over 65s saying they have no nest egg saved.
The 50–55 age group is slightly better off with 25% having saved up to £10,000 and 17% having saved up to £50,000. This isn’t so surprising when you consider that over 2/3rds of the sample where never given any advice on how much to save when they were in their 30s and 40s.
Despite this, they remain optimistic and aspire to travel the world!
Travel is a priority
Of those who have saved something for retirement almost 1/3 would like to spend it on travel while 1 in 5 would use it to retire early. Additionally, almost a quarter (23%) said that their biggest regret was not seeing enough of the world.
This is reflected in the over 50s Bucket List:
1) Just under a quarter would like to cruise the world
2) 17% would like to fly first class
3) 15% dream of living abroad
4) 14% would like to have grandchildren
5) 13% yearn to go on safari in Africa or travel to the USA
6) 12% would like to fall in love again
7) 10% are fond of the idea of swimming with dolphins
8) 10% think of themselves as a novelist and would like to have a book published
9) 9% wish to see their football team win the League
10) 7% see themselves as the boss and would like to run their own company
Martin Lock CEO, Silversurfers.com said: “The over 50s have reached a point where they feel more confident about themselves and indeed almost a quarter feel 14 years younger than their age. We created Silvercard+ to give the over 50s a really user friendly way to benefit from great discounts and maximise their spending power. This group are savvy shoppers, 61% said they double check multi-buy offers in shops to make sure they really do offer better value and that’s why the Silvercard+ offers straightforward money-off discounts. There is no other card that offers such comprehensive discounts, deals and offers for this market. Silvercard+ fulfills an unmet need.
“Silvercard+ is a discount card specifically designed for the over 50s, which gives them access to exclusive offers and deals from retailers, travel companies, airlines, hotels, technology and entertainment companies which have been specifically negotiated for this audience by Silversurfers.com. We know that travel is a high priority so we have some particularly good discounts and offers in this category.”
Silversurfers Silvercard+ is free for a limited period
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Would you consider downsizing when you retire or have you already done so? - February 21, 2020
- Save £100pp on a holiday to The Gambia! - February 20, 2020
- Should noisy snacks be banned from the cinema? - February 19, 2020
- Visiting beautiful Bath on a city break - February 18, 2020
- Are you part of the ‘sandwich generation’? - February 18, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!