Very cold weather is forecast for the coming week ahead, and it is always a good idea to be prepared for the worst!
My Top Tips:
Take down netting on fruit cages. Anticipate snow and severe penetrating frosts.
Move pots and containers closer to buildings and pack together. Fleece or bubble wrap ones that you can’t move.
Check insulation for your green house and stock up on fuel for heaters, check it all works!
Have spare fleece to lay over plants in the green house like a blanket. Two layers can keep -5℃ off plants!
Turn off all outside taps and drain down hoses. Insulate as well.
Sharp sand on paths and patios works fabulously to give you grip.
Potatoes chitting (sprouting) or stored, protect from frost and any other corms or Dahlia tubers.
Stock up on coal, logs and bird food.
Hunker down and armchair garden!
Stay warm … Brrrr!
Kind Regards, Peter
If you live in the South-East of England, check out my website, www.petermillsgardening.com.
Latest posts by Peter Mills (see all)
- Peter’s Autumn Gardening tips - October 16, 2016
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for September - September 15, 2016
- Peter’s Gardening tips for late summer - August 14, 2016
- Peter’s Gardening tips for August 2016 - August 10, 2016
- Weird and wonderful tips to eradicate pests in the garden! - June 28, 2016