It may seem like not much is going on in the garden at this time of the year, but actually you can be busy planting a number of trees and shrubs.
It is still fine to plant bareroot deciduous hedging plants and trees – just remember to put stakes in place before the rootball in order to avoid damaging the roots. Roses can also be planted now, but avoid areas where roses were previously grown as this can lead to problems with diseases. If you want some winter colour dogwoods (Cornus), Salix and white-stemmed Rubus shrubs are worth considering. See them in all their glory in winter gardens and garden centres.
In the fruit garden
The fruit garden could also do with some work during January:
- Prune currants and gooseberries.
- Prune autumn raspberries.
- Lower indoor grapevine stems for even bud-break.
- Apply winter washes to fruit bushes and trees.
- Plant bare-root trees and bushes, as long as the ground isn’t frozen.
- Apply a top dressing of sulphate of potash to all fruits and nuts.
Not already a member of the RHS? Join from just £39 and start enjoying free garden visits, personalised advice and discounted shows tickets.
Get in the picture
Learn how to capture beautiful images of the tropical butterflies at RHS Garden Wisley with photographer Adrian Davies. Learn about techniques, equipment and image processing while enjoying exclusive access to the Glasshouse before it opens to the public. To book call 0845612 1253. Members £50, non-members £62.50. Or enjoy a Madam Butterfly afternoon tea in the restaurant at 3pm daily from January 18 to March 9. Adults £17.50, children £9.50. Book at www.rhs.org.uk/wisley
Listen to the latest RHS podcast
Listen to our latest podcast, where we offer seasonal information, you can hear tips on growing fruit and veg, and get up-to-the-minute help and advice.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016
- Sunset in Abbotsbury, Dorset by Patty Ball - October 20, 2016
- How to Make a Scrapbook with a CEWE PHOTOBOOK - October 20, 2016