10 clever uses for baby powder
Cheap, cheerful and a staple of every nursery, baby powder can do so much more than ward off nappy rash.
Today we’re sharing 10 clever alternative uses for baby powder you never knew before.
- As pet shampoo – If your pet is between baths and you’re expecting company or taking them with you somewhere special, help restore freshness to their fur with a little baby powder. Rub a handful of powder into their fur and let it sit for a few minutes before brushing out – it will absorb oil buildup and give a fresh scent, too.
- Sand removal – While the beach might be brilliant, sand everywhere is not. Help prevent sand from making its way into your car and all over your clothing by rubbing baby powder on your skin – it will making brushing off any stick sand much easier.
- Untangle jewellery – Tangled necklace chains can be anywhere from annoying to impossible. Minimise the risk of damage by sprinkling baby powder over the chain – it will loosen any knots and make detangling easier.
- Restore moldy books – If you have old books that smell of mold or mildew or have been damaged by water, try this trick: leave them to dry thoroughly, then sprinkle baby powder between the pages, leaving the books to stand upright overnight. Brush off any remaining powder and replace on the shelf.
- Prevent chafing – Just like baby powder can absorb excess moisture around the nappy, it can also prevent chafing on hotter days. Rub baby powder into the skin anywhere there might be friction before exercise – between thighs and under arms is a common area. It will help keep your skin smooth and prevent any painful chafing.
- Freshen shoes – If you have shoes that smell, use baby powder as a simple deodoriser. Keep a bottle near the door or closet and sprinkle lightly into the soles of shoes after wearing. Let it sit overnight to absorb moisture and odours and by morning you’ll have fresher smelling feet.
- Protect your flower bulbs – Prevent new flower bulbs from rot, moles and much more with a little baby powder. Place your bulbs into a freezer bag with a sprinkling of baby powder and shake. The powder will lightly coat the flower bulbs and protect them before planting.
- Absorb grease stains – Cooking with oils runs the risk of giving grease stains on your clothing. If that happens, dab baby powder into the stain with a cotton bud or powder puff. Rub in well and brush off any excess. Repeat until the stain is gone.
- Make rubber gloves more comfortable – Instead of jamming your fingers into your rubber gloves, make the process easier by rubbing your fingers in baby powder first – your gloves will slide on good as new.
- Ant repellent – If you notice ants in your home, sprinkle baby powder around any areas they may be entering. Ants don’t like the smell and texture of baby powder and it will naturally repel them without the need for harsh chemicals – perfect for households with pets and small children.
Do you have any clever uses for baby powder? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!