10 clever uses for Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola is the world's most popular soft drink - it's sold in more than 200 countries and more than 1.7 servings of Coke products are served around the globe daily.
Coca-Cola is so much more than just a soft drink – there’s dozens of weird and wonderful alternative uses you can try at home.
Here’s 10 of our favourites.
- Clean the toilet – You read it right! It may seem counterintuitive because Coca-Cola is a dark liquid, but it’s a surprisingly effective toilet cleaner. Pour the Coke around the bowl and leave it to sit – brush, flush and you’re done.
- Remove grout – Coca-Cola can also be a quick and easy way to remove grout on tiles in your kitchen or bathroom. It’s a great alternative to chemicals if you have pets or young children around the house. Pour fresh Coke into a spray bottle and apply it to any tiles that need cleaning. Leave to sit for a few minutes then wipe away.
- Banish hiccups – If you often find yourself with the hiccups, try gurgling a large mouthful of ice-cold Coca-Cola to relieve the problem.
- Remove gum in hair – If you’ve ever accidentally had gum stuck in your hair, you know how tricky it can be to remove without simply cutting it out. If you – or any of your grandchildren or pets! – have gum stuck in hair or fur, dip it into a small bowl of Coke and if possible leave it to sit for a few minutes. The drink will break down the gum and make it easier to wipe off.
- Absorb oil stains – If your car leaks oil on the floor of your drive or garage, help Coke solve the problem. Soak the stain in Coke and leave for several hours, then hose off – the stain should wipe away cleanly.
- Remove rust – Remove rust build up from your car or other areas around the home and garden with Coke. You can loosen a rusty bolt by leaving it to soak, or remove rust by scrubbing Coca-Cola over the area with a piece of crumpled tinfoil.
- Speed up your compost – If you keep a compost box in your back garden, try this useful trick to speed up the process. Pour a bottle of Coke into the compost box and leave it to work. The sugar feeds micro organisms in the soil and the acidity will help the compost break down faster.
- Remove blood stains – If you have blood stained clothing or fabric, try using Coke to solve the problem. It’s a surprisingly effective stain remover.
- Help nausea and upset stomach – If you’re feeling nauseous or suffering from an upset stomach, leave a glass of coke out to go flat, and then drink it a little at the time. It will help to relieve your symptoms when you don’t want to take medicine.
- As a marinade – Coke can also be used as an inexpensive marinade for cooking – it helps keep meat tender and juicy and works especially well with tough cuts of steak meat.
Do you know any clever alternative uses for Coca-Cola? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- What’s the best Christmas chocolate? - December 6, 2019
- Cranberry sausage rolls - December 5, 2019
- Festive winter canapes - December 4, 2019
- Tips for an eco-friendly Christmas - December 1, 2019
- Festive Blueberry and Bergamot Popcorn with salted caramel - December 1, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!