Beware of the Frost!
Gardeners beware especially in the south, as there is a frost forecast for this Saturday and Sunday nights.
Just when we have been lulled into a false sense of security with warmer spring like temperatures, it is all set to change at the weekend, and become much colder at night.
Protect any fruit trees in flower including peaches, nectarines and plums with fleece or net curtains. Use clothes pegs to attach to the tree. Peg on in late afternoon, and take off in the morning around 8 or 9 O’Clock onwards to allow the bees to pollinate. You can help pollination with a small paint brush or a rabbits tail if you have one two hand, and go from flower to flower tickling the flowers bits gently!! This will guarantee more fruit set if you can make the time. It can be very therapeutic. Also great to involve the grandchildren – many hands make light work!
I’m sorry to say temperatures are set to drop, so watch the weather forecasts and protect tender plants and seedlings.
Latest posts by Peter Mills (see all)
- Gardening tips for October - September 27, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for September 2021 - August 31, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening tips for August - July 30, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for July - June 29, 2021
- Weird and wonderful tips to eradicate pests in the garden! - June 15, 2021