Peter’s Gardening Weather alert!
Very cold weather is forecast for the coming week ahead and has been aptly named ‘The Beast from the East’! It is always a good idea to be prepared for the worst so here are my top tips to help you.
My Top Tips:
- Take down netting on fruit cages. Anticipate snow and severe penetrating frosts.
- Move pots and containers closer to buildings and pack together. Fleece or bubble wrap ones that you can’t move.
- Check insulation for your greenhouse and stock up on fuel for heaters, check it all works!
- Have spare fleece to lay over plants in the greenhouse like a blanket. Two layers can keep -5℃ off plants!
- Turn off all outside taps and drain down hoses. Insulate as well.
- Sharp sand on paths and patios works fabulously to give you grip.
- Protect potatoes chitting (sprouting) or stored from frost and any other corms or Dahlia tubers.
- Stock up on coal, logs and bird food.
- Hunker down and armchair garden!
Stay warm … Brrrr!
Kind Regards, Peter
p.s I am happy to answer any of your gardening questions too, so feel free to leave them below and I will do my best to reply!
Latest posts by Peter Mills (see all)
- Gardening tips for October - September 27, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for September 2021 - August 31, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening tips for August - July 30, 2021
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for July - June 29, 2021
- Weird and wonderful tips to eradicate pests in the garden! - June 15, 2021