Peter’s Gardening Weather alert!
Very cold weather is forecast for the coming week ahead and has been aptly named ‘The Beast from the East’! It is always a good idea to be prepared for the worst so here are my top tips to help you.
My Top Tips:
- Take down netting on fruit cages. Anticipate snow and severe penetrating frosts.
- Move pots and containers closer to buildings and pack together. Fleece or bubble wrap ones that you can’t move.
- Check insulation for your greenhouse and stock up on fuel for heaters, check it all works!
- Have spare fleece to lay over plants in the greenhouse like a blanket. Two layers can keep -5℃ off plants!
- Turn off all outside taps and drain down hoses. Insulate as well.
- Sharp sand on paths and patios works fabulously to give you grip.
- Protect potatoes chitting (sprouting) or stored from frost and any other corms or Dahlia tubers.
- Stock up on coal, logs and bird food.
- Hunker down and armchair garden!
Stay warm … Brrrr!
Kind Regards, Peter
p.s I am happy to answer any of your gardening questions too, so feel free to leave them below and I will do my best to reply!
Latest posts by Peter Mills (see all)
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for September 2020 - August 30, 2020
- Peter’s Gardening tips for August 2020 - August 3, 2020
- Peter’s Gardening Tips for July - June 30, 2020
- Weird and wonderful tips to eradicate pests in the garden! - June 28, 2020
- Peter’s Gardening tips for June - May 31, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!