Let’s play catch
Did you know you could plant veggies now and eat them in May? Hannah Stephenson reveals how to ‘catch crops’
The vegetable patch doesn’t have to be bare while you wait for the warmer weather for planting crops like French beans, tomatoes and courgettes – catch crops will fill in the gaps. The idea is that you will be able to harvest them before planting tender crops. Good catch crops include radish, spring onion, spinach, oriental greens and lettuce. Sow them in short rows and they should be ready before the later crops are planted out in May.
If you have room, leave space for the later crops and you can continue to harvest the catch crops while they are settling in.
What have you planted in your vegetable garden so far? What crops will you grow this year?
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- What is equity release and could it be right for you? - October 14, 2021
- Do you eat less meat than you used to? - October 11, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 6, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 6, 2021
- Make your LPA online with Co-op Legal Services - October 6, 2021