Test your horticultural knowledge with our tricky gardening quiz
So you think you know your hydrangea from your helleborus, or can identify Latin plant names or nuisance pests lurking in your soil.
If you’re a master of conundrums and consider yourself a bit of a gardening guru, you may want to bag a copy of the RHS Gardener’s Quiz & Puzzle Book.
Test your knowledge with this quiz for the green-fingered from quizmasters Simon Akeroyd and Dr Gareth Moore.
1. This spring favourite, beginning with the letter P, flowers in spring with herbaceous and tree types.
2. The Garden Museum (formerly the Museum of Garden History), site of the Tradescant family tomb, can be found adjacent to L****** Palace, the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
3. This curved grub with a brown head likes to chew on grass roots. What is it called?
4. The Prince of Wales is famous for a particular royal garden which he has created with imagination and passion over the last 38 years. Can you name it?
5. What is the name of the technique whereby potato tubers are exposed to light indoors prior to planting, to encourage early shoots to form?
6. Which of the following is botanically a vegetable? a. Tomato; b. Courgette; c. Aubergine; d. Rhubarb
7. Can you identify the missing six-letter word of the nuisance Powdery ****** from this description? A common problem of asters and chrysanthemums as well as various vegetables most prevalent in warm, dry weather.
8. What type of fruit are the following: calamondin, kabosu, kumquat, meyer and ugli fruit?
9. Can you identify the type of pruning or training system from the image of this pear tree?
10. The botanical name given to a plant can help a gardener to understand its key attributes. If a plant has the descriptive word somnifera in its name, what effect would you expect it to have if eaten or smelled?
RHS Gardener’s Quiz & Puzzle Book by Simon Akeroyd & Dr Gareth Moore is published by Mitchell Beazley, priced £14.99. Available now.
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- 10 tips for greater productivity working from home - May 26, 2020
- How to dry home-grown blooms - May 25, 2020
- 10 ways to recycle old junk to use in the garden - May 22, 2020
- Here’s why you need zinc – and how to make sure you’re getting enough - May 22, 2020
- World Bee Day: 7 ways to support bees in your garden - May 20, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!