Time to plant deciduous plants
Bare-root deciduous hedging plants, trees and shrubs become available this month. Here are some top tips:
- Plant them promptly, before they dry out. They can be heeled into the soil for a short period if conditions are not suitable for planting.
- Order and plant containerised trees and shrubs, and large semi-mature specimens for planting later in the winter.
- Protect newly planted trees, hedges and shrubs from wind and cold. A temporary netting windbreak is sufficient where there is no natural shelter.
- Straw, bracken, or something similar can be used to pack around deciduous plants and protect them from frost.
- This is also a good time to transplant trees and shrubs growing in unsuitable position. But leave any that are more than two years old.
- Avoid planting roses in areas where roses were previously growing otherwise new introductions may suffer from replant diseases (rose sickness).
How to deal with pests and disease
As we saw last month, pests and diseases will attack vegetables with relish. Here is some more advice that you can undertake in November to protect your vegetables.
- Protect new sowings and crops still in the ground from mice.
- Remove all remaining plant debris from the vegetable plot. Do not compost any diseased material.
- Remove any rotten stored fruit.
- Deal with apple and pear canker.
- Deal with bitter pit in stored apples.
Not already a member of the RHS? Join from just £39 and start enjoying free garden visits, personalised advice and discounted shows tickets.
Celebrate Yorkshire artists at Harlow Carr
The Winter Art Exhibition at RHS Garden Harlow Carr features 11 leading Yorkshire artists, including landscape artist Annie Robinson, acrylics and watercolour artist Teresa Boast, botanical watercolour artist Patricia Mitchell and acrylic painter Nikky Corker. Also featured are pencil drawings, printmaking, handcrafted woodturnings, original cards and prints from artists including wood carver Adrian Lister. With each artist having their own quirky and unique style, there really is something to delight everyone visiting this festive season. The exhibition runs from 26 November – 8 December.
Listen to the latest RHS podcast
Listen to our latest podcast, where we offer seasonal information, you can hear tips on growing fruit and veg, and get up-to-the-minute help and advice.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Win a case of wine up to the value of £250! - February 19, 2017
- 5 reasons why Brittany’s Emerald Coast should be on your holiday hotlist - February 16, 2017
- Photographic Greeting Cards by MeeZeeGee Images - February 16, 2017
- Win a selection of Greeting Cards and Notelets worth £50! - February 16, 2017
- The Active Collection from Hotter - February 16, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!