Your Top 10 gardening jobs for November
Autumn has started out very mild, if a little soggy! The leaves are slowly beginning to change from the luscious shades of green, to a combination of fiery reds, oranges and yellows. Below are your top 10 gardening jobs for November
- Clear up fallen leaves – especially from lawns, ponds and beds
- Raise containers onto pot feet to prevent waterlogging
- Plant tulip bulbs for a spring display next year
- Prune roses to prevent wind-rock
- Plant out winter bedding
- Cover brassicas with netting if pigeons are a problem
- Insulate outdoor containers from frost – bubblewrap works well
- Stop winter moth damage to fruit trees using grease bands around the trunks
- Put out bird food to encourage winter birds into the garden
- Use a seasonal bonfire – where this is allowed – to dispose of excess debris unfit for composting
Don’t forget the houseplants
Pot up your bulbs, bring them indoors and water and feed them well to ensure beautiful flowering in time for Christmas. Also, follow our tips for looking after tropical houseplants, cacti and pelargoniums.
Enjoy free garden visits, personalised advice and discounted shows tickets
This month is perfect for planting new fruit trees and bushes, but only if the ground is not frosted or too wet. Dig over, and weed, vacant areas of the vegetable plot incorporating well-rotted organic matter. It’s also a good time to prune red and white currants and gooseberries.
More video advice on fruit
Free day Friday at RHS Gardens
All four RHS Gardens are offering you the opportunity to visit for free on Friday 8 November. Enjoy all that the gardens have to offer in autumn, and discover the many benefits of RHS membership. RHS Garden Rosemoor will be hosting Bonhams of Exeter on the day, which will be holding free expert valuations of antiques and collectables.
Listen to the latest RHS podcast
Subscribe to RHS podcasts
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win a week’s car rental in Europe with Avis! - December 14, 2017
- Top Tips for Staying Safe Online - December 13, 2017
- Style with Christmas Presence - December 12, 2017
- Which is your favourite Frank Sinatra Song? - December 10, 2017
- Win a Limited Edition Wolsey Jacket from Walking With The Wounded - December 9, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!