Carrot Cake Muffins with Coconut and Lime Icing
A delicious mix between a cupcake and a muffin they make a perfect treat with a cup of tea!
The spices create a rich aromatic flavour and the creamy coconut icing is the perfect topping to give these muffins a unique twist.
Makes 6-8 muffins
- 120g carrots, grated
- 2 eggs
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 120g self raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50g coconut oil
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Walnuts to garnish
Preparation time: 15
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan/190C/gas 5.
- Place the grated carrots, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and soft brown sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Sift flour baking powder, ground cinnamon and mixed spice into the carrot mix and stir. Ensuring all of the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Line a deep muffin tin with paper muffin cases (6-8) and evenly divide the mix between the cases.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the icing place the coconut oil in a bowl and beat with a hand whisk. If the coconut oil is very solid, soften slightly. Beat for a few minutes to make it more soft.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and add the lime juice.
- Beat until smooth, scraping the bowl down if needed. If the icing is too stiff add 1-2 tbsp of boiling water.
- Evenly spread the icing on top of the muffins or pipe it on if you want to and top with a walnut piece.